Fwd: Re: [Gluster-devel] features/mirror resp cluster/automatic-file-replication

Krishna Srinivas krishna.srinivas at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 14:46:19 UTC 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rainer.Rohmfeld at emuge.de <Rainer.Rohmfeld at emuge.de>
Date: Feb 1, 2007 8:09 PM
Subject: Re: Re: [Gluster-devel] features/mirror resp
cluster/automatic-file-replication
To: Krishna Srinivas <krishna.srinivas at gmail.com>

Dear Mr. Srinivas,

we are running a Linux Virtual Server with 9 servers and 2 load
balancers based on keepalived.
Underlying file system is OpenAFS with a replication/failover-handling
based on drbd-heartbeat.

Applications: Tomcat, Twiki, Catalyst/HTML-Mason, MTA (courier), Web
Services (SOAP::Lite), database (MySQL), file serving  (CIFS/samba)

We are validating different cluster filesystems to replace OpenAFS due
to its bad write performance.
Backup software should be dirvish (hard links necessary)

gfarm: no automatic replication during write, metadata can become
inconsistent, no hardlinks, good performance
lustre: hard links ok., failover only via heartbeat and iSCSI, bad
performance for grep operations (TWiki), many kernel patches!!!
glusterfs: looks promising, hardlinks, good performancs, easy
administration, good to medium performance  for grep (Twiki), overall
good performance, roadmap promising
A failover handling is necessary, because we need a 6x24 availibilty
for our CNC-machines and  worldwide locations.

Best Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

 R. Rohmfeld

 EMUGE - Werk Richard Glimpel GmbH & Co. KG
 Fabrik für Präzisionswerkzeuge
 D-91207 Lauf, Germany
 Dr. Rainer Rohmfeld
 e-mail: Rainer.Rohmfeld at emuge.de