[Gluster-Maintainers] [IMP] Requesting a fast-tracked minor update for release-10

Amar Tumballi amar at kadalu.io
Fri Sep 16 08:37:37 UTC 2022

On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 1:59 PM Shwetha Acharya <sacharya at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Anoop,
>
> Release 10.3 was scheduled for August. However, as there were not enough
> PRs tagged for release 10, we had to defer the release for 3 more months.
> Considering that there is a basic functionality breakage scenario with
> Samba and considerable number of PRs already tagged and merged for release
> 10 at this point of time, I believe with Release and Build perspective, we
> are okay to initiate the release soon.

I personally see SMB, NFS-Ganesha, QEMU communities as very key partner
communities, and if there is a request like this, we should surely make
changes and releases to comply with these communities.

This is the exact reason we have a provision for security fix releases,
which needn't wait for particular time, but can be done by particular event
(which in this case, merging of all critical PRs).

Would be great to see the release happening soon.

If there are any important PRs that are to be merged to release 10, I
> request maintainers to back port and tag them.
>
> We will wait for any further responses from the members in this list.

Also I guess as I mentioned in another discussion, we need to soon plan for
release-11 branching and release date.

-Amar

> Regards,
> Shwetha
>

> On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 12:39 PM Anoop C S <anoopcs at cryptolab.net> wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> With GA of latest major stable release(v4.17)[1] for Samba, there is a
>> basic functionality breakage(see below) with GlusterFS backed SMB
>> shares via libgfapi. Necessary patches for libgfapi were already
>> identified and are now merged[2][3] with 'release-10' branch as
>> backports from 'devel' branch.
>>
>> Samba packages(v4.17)[4] for Fedora rawhide are already in stable
>> repositories and will soon be the case for other distributions. Looking
>> at the tentative date for v10 update we are concerned as it will be a
>> long 2 month gap where GlusterFS integration with latest(and greatest)
>> Samba will stay broken.
>>
>> Thus we are requesting a soonish release to avoid such a long broken
>> window where a lot more screams on this breakage are expected.
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Anoop C S.
>>

>> Functionality breakage in a nutshell:
>> "As a consumer of libgfapi, Samba used to differentiate between file
>> and directory OPENs based on stat information(and thereby setting
>> O_DIRECTORY flag) acquired prior to actual OPEN. Recent improvements in
>> Samba took out the need for O_DIRECTORY in OPEN flags causing
>> failure(with EISDIR) to connect to GlusterFS backed shares via
>> libgfapi."
>>
>> [1] https://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.17.0.html
>> [2] https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/pull/3755
>> [3] https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/pull/3756