[Gluster-Maintainers] Is the bugs at gluster.org bugzilla account active?

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Mon Feb 10 12:18:51 UTC 2020

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 05:17:26PM +0530, sankarshan wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 at 15:36, Niels de Vos <ndevos at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 07:25:03AM +0530, sankarshan wrote:
> > > The default assignee is bugs at gluster.org. I do not often see this
> > > correctly reassigned to an actual maintainer/developer. Is that
> > > account active and receives emails?
> >
> > This is the mailinglist where all developers working on components for
> > Gluster should have a filter on the bugzilla headers and triage them.
> > The current procedure was chosen to prevent single-point of contacts for
> > a component, and multiple developers (maintainers and peers from the
> > MAINTAINERS file) are expected to be subscribed to the list.

> > - https://github.com/gluster/glusterdocs/blob/master/docs/Developer-guide/Bugzilla%20Notifications.md
> > - https://github.com/gluster/glusterdocs/blob/master/docs/Contributors-Guide/Bug-report-Life-Cycle.md
> >
> > If this is not followed as expected, component maintainers and peers may
> > need some refreshing on the procedures. Or we need to adjust the
> > documentation to a workflow that works better.
>
> As far as I can tell one cannot set NEEDINFO on that account (or, it
> might just be that my account on Red Hat's bugzilla instance lacks
> that privilege) . Which is a compounded issue when the actual set of
> developers working on the component do not reassign the reported bug
> to an individual. I understand the point about decentralization - but
> at the end of the day, the bugs are mostly to be addressed by an
> actual human. Not a mailing list alias account.

Assigning the bugs is part of the triage process. Once a bug is traged,
it should have an owner that answers the questions in any of the
comments.

There is no use in setting NEEDINFO on a bug that is not assigned yet.
This is similar to creating an Issue in GitHub, someone needs to triage
them. It is the responsibility of the whole community to guide
bugs/questions/.. and make progress. The bugs at gluster.org list just
makes it easier for regular contributors to stay informed about newly
reported bugs (and hopefully triage those!).

Niels