[Gluster-Maintainers] Proposal to change gNFS status

Amar Tumballi amarts at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 10:31:23 UTC 2019

Hi All,

As per the discussion on https://review.gluster.org/23645, recently we
changed the status of gNFS (gluster's native NFSv3 support) feature to
'Depricated / Orphan' state. (ref:
https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/blob/master/MAINTAINERS#L185..L189).
With this email, I am proposing to change the status again to 'Odd Fixes'
(ref: https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/blob/master/MAINTAINERS#L22)

TL;DR;

I understand the current maintainers are not able to focus on maintaining
it as the focus of the project, as earlier described, is keeping
NFS-Ganesha based integration with glusterfs. But, I am volunteering along
with Xie Changlong (currently working at Chinamobile), to keep the feature
running as it used to in previous versions. Hence the status of 'Odd
Fixes'.

Before sending the patch to make these changes, I am proposing it here now,
as gNFS is not even shipped with latest glusterfs-7.0 releases. I have
heard from some users that it was working great for them with earlier
releases, as all they wanted was NFS v3 support, and not much of features
from gNFS. Also note that, even though the packages are not built, none of
the regression tests using gNFS are stopped with latest master, so it is
working same from at least last 2 years.

I request the package maintainers to please add '--with gnfs' (or
--enable-gnfs) back to their release script through this email, so those
users wanting to use gNFS happily can continue to use it. Also points to
users/admins is that, the status is 'Odd Fixes', so don't expect any
'enhancements' on the features provided by gNFS.

Happy to hear feedback, if any.

Regards,
Amar