[Gluster-Maintainers] [Gluster-devel] GF_CALLOC to GF_MALLOC conversion - is it safe?

Poornima Gurusiddaiah pgurusid at redhat.com
Thu Mar 28 05:18:42 UTC 2019

Regarding the use of malloc vs calloc, i had tried this a while back,
though theoretically it should give performance improvement, i was not able
to see this in practice for small memory allocations, may be due to the
optimizations in the glibc and kernel memory management itself. When i ran
a sample program for random size millions of malloc vs calloc and also use
it(so that it results in page fault) resulted in no conclusive results on
which is more performant, in some runs calloc was slower in some runs
malloc was slower. In glibc the calloc is not exactly malloc + memset,
after browsing and looking through __libc_calloc(), the kernel always gives
zeroed pages for security purpose(with COW), when calloc implementation in
libc reuses the memory allocated by its own process then there is a
difference in perf of malloc and calloc, but even these are optimised to
some extent in glibc. I would personally prefer keeping calloc and use
malloc only if its large buffers, and trade off this one nano perf
improvement, for the ease of coding and uniformity across the project. As a
thumb rule we have been using calloc for smaller memory, we should discuss
and conclude on this so it can go in
developer-guide(./doc/developer-guide/coding-standard.md)

Also, while at the memory alloc optimization discussions, would like to
mention about one another observation, long back had tried doing some
changes to gf_malloc and gf_calloc to use from the per thread mem pool if
available, rather than send it to libc. We saw that there were millions of
small mallocs/callocs happening so we tried to modify the code to lookup
the mempool for availability for pre allocated memory, with this change we
saw no improvement! But there were improvements wrt using iobuf_pool and
other pre allocated poo for dict, inode etcl. something we could explore.

Regards,
Poornima