[Gluster-Maintainers] Fwd: Re: [Gluster-users] Announcing GlusterFS release 3.12.0 (Long Term Maintenance)

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Sat Sep 9 15:32:12 UTC 2017

On Fri, Sep 08, 2017 at 10:24:55AM -0700, Amye Scavarda wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 5:36 AM, Niels de Vos <ndevos at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 06, 2017 at 09:15:03AM -0400, Shyam Ranganathan wrote:
> > > I would like to better understand why CentOS packages do not hit the SIG on
> > > time (defined as from RPMs built -> tested -> to announcement made, which is
> > > about 4 days this time around).
> > >
> > > What is blocking this? What can change? What do we need to do as the gluster
> > > community to make this happen?
> >
> > The CentOS team has been requested to sync the packages marked for
> > release to the mirrors. This is mostly done on Mondays for new
> > repositories. I guess there has been a delay because last Monday was a
> > holiday in the US.
> >
> > As soon as the packages are mirrored, I'll request the CentOS Extras
> > maintainer to include the centos-release-gluster312 package [1] in the
> > CentOS Extras repository as well. Once that is done, an announcment will
> > be sent to the CentOS users (similar to [2]).
> >
> > > What question am I not asking?
> >
> > Not sure, it always takes 1-2 weeks before the new releases are on the
> > CentOS mirrors. Maybe we should be clearer in setting expectations?
> >
> > HTH,
> > Niels
> >

> > 1. http://cbs.centos.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=6530
> > 2. https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2017-March/022337.html
>

> It's my understanding that the release process is documented over in
> the Storage SIG wiki.
> https://wiki.centos.org/SIGGuide/Content/Release
>
> Here's the bug confirming that they're added to the mirrors:
> https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=13769  -- it's marked as confirmed
> as of 2017-09-05 20:24
>
> http://cbs.centos.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=6530 shows that the
> builds are not yet tested.
> What I can't see from here is if they're in a place to be tagged with
> a release tag, so is that our next step to getting this out?

The centos-release-gluster312 can only be released once the repositories
are on the mirrors. If the package gets pushed into CentOS Extras before
that, users will get a YUM repository configuration that points to a
repository that does not exist yet.

Once the CentOS team (Brian Stinson) confirms that the mirroring is
configured/done in bug 13769, I'll ask to publish the release package.
With that, the announcement will get sent out as well.

Let me know if something is unclear, I'm happy to explain more about the
process. And of course, if others want to assist with pieces here and
there, get in touch too!

Niels