[Gluster-Maintainers] [Gluster-devel] Client Server incompatibility with Gluster 4.0

Shyam Ranganathan srangana at redhat.com
Thu Oct 12 14:22:22 UTC 2017

On 10/12/2017 04:25 AM, Ric Wheeler wrote:
> I worry about having to update all of the clients when we have new code
> on servers.
>
> Typically, for example with NFS, the client negotiates the protocol
> version it understands and we default to the highest version the clients
> and servers both support.
>
> I know that is a pain, but we should keep in mind what the standard is
> our users are accustomed to with other protocols....

I concur, upgrade to 4.0, if the older clients are not compatible, would
mean a down client(s) upgrade.

Further, rolling upgrades of the server becomes a moot point, as some
would be a higher version in the interim and hence prevent existing
clients to talk to the same, as our upgrade process is servers first and
then clients.

Which then essentially boils down to, stop services, upgrade everything,
and restart the volume and the clients.

I understand the additional code and reasoning that Amar has pointed
out, but taking down time for the upgrade will introduce a lot of pain
for the users, and hence create resistance to upgrading to 4.0 probable
and in some cases (consider the service using the gluster volume
critical) not possible.

As we are about providing increased availability considering replication
and the additional storage that it involves, down time for upgrades
should not be a choice that we should consider, when possible.