[Gluster-Maintainers] Minutes of Meeting (Oct 4th)

Amar Tumballi atumball at redhat.com
Wed Oct 4 17:01:31 UTC 2017

Meeting date: 10/04/2017 (Oct 4th)
<https://hackmd.io/MYTgzADARgplCGBaA7DArMxAWAZvATIiFhJgCYarBQCMCYIQA===?both#bj-link>BJ
Link

   - Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/205933580
   - Download: https://bluejeans.com/s/d0hgj

<https://hackmd.io/MYTgzADARgplCGBaA7DArMxAWAZvATIiFhJgCYarBQCMCYIQA===?both#attendance>
Attendance

   - [Sorry Note] Amar, Michael
   - Shyam, Milind, Kaleb, Atin, Niels,ppai, Jiffin, csaba, Sunil, Rafi KC,
   Xavi, raghug, Vijay, Nithya

<https://hackmd.io/MYTgzADARgplCGBaA7DArMxAWAZvATIiFhJgCYarBQCMCYIQA===?both#agenda>
Agenda

   -

   AI from previous week
   - Old meeting notes archived:
      https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/wiki/Maintainters-Meeting-Notes-Archive
      - Release maintainers for 3.13/4.0
         - Haven’t heard anything yet
         - Reminded the folks in the call!
      -

   Gluster Summit
   - Plan meetings now, convince people with your ideas, get it done :-)
      - Any concerns on big changes, have it clarified in person (if
      possible)
      - Plan long term goals (ie, what is 5.0 etc etc)
      - Any free slots (due to issues with travel etc), who will have extra
      talk ready? - unknown yet, I haven’t had anyone cancel their talks
      yet. – amye
      - AI: Can we get a sheet where folks can share travel plans? [Jeff ->
      Amye]
   -

   Gluster 4.0
   - Some update emails sent
         - GD2
            - Volgen code in progress, and possibly will be done this or
            early next week
               -
                  -

http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-September/053700.html
-
                  need attention from folks
               - Some top issues are w.r.t 2 node cluster and quorum loss
            - When would this come into master?
               - Now that volgen is almost ready, what is the plan?
               [Atin/ppai/Kaushal]
               - ppai prefers glusterd2 to continue development as separate
               repo
            - Review backlog piling up. Need help
      - [Atin] Do we have users using tiering feature? Do we need to keep
      on supporting tiering in 4.0?
         - We have not announced it as stable upstream
         - Even calling it tech-review/experimental will need GD2 support
            - We possibly ask folks to use GD instead of GD2 if they want
            to try out Tier, is an option
         -
            - AI: [Amye] Possible survey question!
         -

   3.13 -> 4.0 Additional quality tracking [Shyam]
   - Reduce overall coverity defects/issues
      - Improve on code coverage across each component
      - Glusto runs should pass
      - All components not meeting above guidelines will block the release,
      and hence need attention
      - The base line will be compared to 3.12 and announced just post
      branching for 3.13, giving teams 6 weeks to meet the required targets
      - Future releases, may track an actual %age increase/decrease in the
      metrics
      - Thoughts?
         - Get more tests into Glusto, mandate this in 4.0
            - AI: Check back with Nigel and see if Glusto code coverage
            metrics can also be gathered [Shyam]
         - Accept: <names>
         - Reject: <names>
      -

   Options to track FB patches from 3.8-fb branch [Shyam]
   - Here is a look at the current status of patches posted by FB in
release-3.8-fb
      branch
      <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yc1wSCB-vZsm5gVPokFAvfredmPXT4zGzdLLESRXMVY/edit?usp=sharing>
      - Here <https://review.gluster.org/#/c/18419/> is a tracker to
      generate the same report
      - Further actions/intentions
         - Patches here are bug fixes and features, and can help the code
         base attain better stability
         - Intention from the community should/could be to actively
         participate in forward porting these to master
         - Actions hence are, to encourage, track/discuss and forward port,
         the changes pertaining the areas of maintaner responsibility
      -

   Round Table
   - Facebook has offered to maintain gNFS in our tree, as it is one of
      their primary server protocols in use. As Gluster stance is to move to
      Ganesha in light of NFS support, we would like to accept FB’s offer in
      light of continuing NFSv3 support for interested users in the
community via
      gNFS, what this means,
         - gNFS is still maintained
         - gNFS is an option for users
         - gNFS is not taken out of the tree, not built etc. for 4.0 or
         later
         - Facebook contributors Shreyas and Jeff would get added as
         maintainers
         - Thoughts/comments?
            - Do we know how many users are on gNFS? We think most are on
            gNFS, we may have some date from the previous community survey
               - AI: [Amye] Possible survey question!
            - Code will still be in the tree, this was not going to be
            removed anyway [Kaleb]
         - Coding standard (if time permits)
      https://review.gluster.org/#/c/17651/
         - AI: Maintainers please review, add all maintainers as reviewers
         [Shyam]
         - Possibly add Go coding standards [Kaushal]
         -