[Gluster-Maintainers] Handling github PRs

Shyam srangana at redhat.com
Wed Mar 1 19:43:44 UTC 2017

Hi,

We do not accept github PRs as our work flow is gerrit based.

To educate contributors, one of the things we could do is to put up a
template as in [1] for the PULL_REQUEST_TEMPLATE. It will look like this
[2] when users attempt to submit PRs.

An alternate idea suggested by Nigel was to accept PRs, but use a
Jenkins job to auto close the same, with some generic (or very specific)
instructions on how to submit it to our gerrit instance.

The advantage of the latter method is that we do not lose the code
change suggested, and we can still evaluate the same and reach out to
the contributor and also possibly get the change into our gerrit instance.

The latter approach looks good, wanted to run this by other maintainers
for their thoughts.

Thanks,
Shyam

[1] PR template:
https://review.gluster.org/#/c/16618/1/.github/PULL_REQUEST_TEMPLATE

[2] How a PR template appears to contributors:
https://goo.gl/photos/xxc8j3myqzD9tME98