[Gluster-Maintainers] Release 3.12: Status of features (Require responses!)

Shyam Ranganathan srangana at redhat.com
Fri Jul 28 15:10:19 UTC 2017

On 07/25/2017 02:56 AM, Amar Tumballi wrote:

>     Further changes:
>        - No new milestone assigned, IOW not moved to 4.0 by default,
>     hence contributors working on these features would need to rekindle
>     conversations on including the same in 4.0 on the ML or on the issue
>     itself.
>

> I would like us to push the changes for 'tiering' which Hari was working
> on as an experimental enhancements (They seem to be feature enhancements
> in glusterd to enable extra options for add-brick and remove-brick).
> Mainly because with glusterfs 4.0 we will have glusterd2, and all those
> efforts would be gone. By the looks of it, most of the patches are not
> causing any regression failures at least.
>
> I would recommend to mark them experimental features of 3.12 branch.
>
> Any feedback? Left to release branch maintainers I guess.

Considering the fact that glusterd2 would be a the way forward in 4.0,
the patches that you mention are good candidates to get into 3.12, as
this is possibly the last release where we should be working on glusterd
related major feature changes.

The patch in question looks to be: https://review.gluster.org/#/c/17693/
(experimental) and https://review.gluster.org/#/c/15503/ (in master with
a merge conflict).

@hari, can you address the patch merge issue on master, and also
@glusterd team, can we get this reviewed in time?

Are there other patches that are in line for the same?

Shyam