[Gluster-Maintainers] Merge rights for release branches

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Tue Jan 10 12:38:03 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 05:31:18PM +0530, Shyam wrote:

> On 01/10/2017 05:10 PM, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:
> > On 01/10/2017 06:25 AM, Shyam wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Tomorrow's maintainers meeting is on the topic of "Maintainer
> > > Guidelines", I do not want to derail that discussion, so sending this
> > > mail ahead of time, to see if there is consensus or if we need to take 5
> > > minutes on this tomorrow.
> > >
> > > Q; Who has merge rights on release branches?
> >
> > I had the impression that feature owners merged patches on the various
> > branches — after the release anyway.
>
> Ah! got a quick education on this from Kaushal as well. So consider this a
> request to change the same to, "only release owners merge patches to the
> release branch".
>
> If I am not mistaken in my newly gained insight, the shift was during 3.8.
> Niels was it a time consuming task them or were there other reasons for the
> shift?

I dont think it was much time consuming (for 3.5). However we trust the
capabilities of the component maintainers sufficiently to only merge
patches that are conform the backport criteria at
www.gluster.org/pipermail/maintainers/2016-May/000706.html .

For 3.8 I keep an eye on what patches get posted, but component
maintainers are merging changes without my involvement. On occasion I
ask for further clarification or additional testing.

When backports do not get reviewed by the component maintainers, I
either ping them or do the review and merging myself.

Niels