[Gluster-Maintainers] port allocation change for 3.8, needs release-notes update

Avra Sengupta asengupt at redhat.com
Mon Sep 12 07:26:10 UTC 2016

On 09/07/2016 08:33 PM, Niels de Vos wrote:
> Hi Avra,
>
> http://review.gluster.org/15308 is one of your patches, and this changes
> the allocation of ports used. It seems to address a real problem, so it
> is acceptible to include it in 3.8.
>
> Because it is a user facing change (different ports), we need to mention
> the difference in behaviour in the release notes. Could you provide me
> with a suitable text that includes the problem being addressed, and how
> the usage of ports differs from before?
>
> Thanks,
> Niels
Hi Niels,

Please find below the text to address the problem and the change in
behavior now.

Problem: glusterd used to assume that the brick port which was
previously allocated to a brick, would still be available, and in doing
so would reuse the port for the brick without registering with the port
map server. The port map server would not be aware of the brick reusing
the same port, and try to allocate it to another process, and in turn
result in that process' failure to connect to the port.

Fix and port usage changes: With the fix, we force glusterd, to
unregister a port previously used by the brick, and register a new port
with the port map server and then use it. As a result of this change,
there will be no conflict between processes competing over the same
port, thereby fixing the issue. Also because of this change, a brick
process on restart is not guaranteed to reuse the same port it used to
be connected to.

Regards,
Avra