[Gluster-Maintainers] [Gluster-devel] Please pause merging patches to 3.9 waiting for just one patch

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Fri Nov 11 10:53:26 UTC 2016

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 04:52:29PM -0500, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:
> On 11/10/2016 04:12 PM, Vijay Bellur wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 11:56 AM, Niels de Vos <ndevos at redhat.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > The packages from the CentOS Storage SIG will by default provide the
> > > latest LTM release. The STM release is provided in addition, and needs
> > > an extra step to enable.
> > >
> > > I am not sure how we can handle this in other distributions (or also
> > > with the packages on d.g.o.).
> >
> > Maybe we should not flip the LATEST for non-RPM distributions in
> > d.g.o? or should we introduce LTM/LATEST and encourage users to change
> > their repository files to point to this?
>
> I like having LATEST and LTM symlinks, but---
>
> Did we decide that after 3.8 the next LTM release will be 3.10? (Or 4.0
> whenever that lands?) And an LTM release is maintained for 12 or 18 months?
>
> If so there probably will be two active LTM releases, assuming we can ship
> the next releases on time.

Yes, and we have is documented (with diagrams!) on
https://www.gluster.org/community/release-schedule/ , see the "Post-3.8"
section.

> We should have LTM-3.8 and eventually LTM-3.10 symlinks then. Or are there
> other ideas?
>
> > Packaging in distributions would be handled by package maintainers and
> > I presume they can decide the appropriateness of a release for
> > packaging?
>
> Indeed. Well, that's the status quo, and beyond our control in any event.

We should probably send out a reminder to the packaging list as that
should contain all known packagers for different distributions.
Including 3.9 in a distribution might be appropriate for some, as long
as the distribution/version goes EOL before our STM release.

Niels