[Gluster-Maintainers] inclusion of multi-threaded self-heal feature in 3.7.12

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Tue Apr 12 06:20:23 UTC 2016

On 04/11/2016 09:58 PM, Vijay Bellur wrote:
> On 04/11/2016 08:02 AM, Niels de Vos wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 05:00:22PM +0530, Pranith Kumar Karampuri wrote:
>>> hi,
>>>          I am thinking of getting multi-threaded self-heal patch in
>>> 3.7.12
>>> release as it is not a big code change, could you let me know if
>>> anyone has
>>> any issues with this?
>>
>> Is this safe to use when there is no rpc throttling?
Default number of parallel heals is still '1'. It will be 1 until we
have some form of throttling of traffic, which we are targeting for 3.8.

> A few more questions:
>
> 1. What is the impact on stability due to this patch?
So far we haven't found any problems with this patch. It has been tested
for around a month before it is sent upstream for merge.

> 2. What scenarios would we want this feature to be turned on?
> Basically an admin guide update about these scenarios would be useful.
I can send a document about this.

> 3. What kind of tests have been done with this feature?
Most of the tests include perf comparison of VM images/sharded images
which showed promising results.

> 4. Are there tests that we want to cover but have not been able to
> complete for this feature?
Hmm... not really.