[GEDI] [Cinder] Requirements for re-adding Gluster support

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Wed Jul 26 10:56:55 UTC 2017

Hello,

In one of the last Cinder releases support for Gluster has been dropped.
The commit message [1] mentions that the support has been marked
deprecated during Newton.

It seems that there are quite some users in the Gluster Community that
run OpenStack with Gluster storage. These users did not take action when
Newton came out, but voiced their disappointment with more recent
releases.

As one of the Gluster Maintainers that is watching over the integration
of Gluster in other projects, I would like to know more about the tasks
that it takes to get Gluster support back into Cinder. With those
details, the Gluster Community can work with interested OpenStack users
to add required CI jobs, and possibly other things.

At the moment, the only knowledge I have on why Gluster support was
removed from Cinder is in a messy email conversation [2]. Pointers to
further clarifications and requirements that Gluster did not meet are
welcome.

My current guess is that adding a 3rd party CI [3] for Gluster is the
only missing piece? If that is the case, I expect that we could add one
or more Jenkins jobs to one of our Gluster Community CI's. We run tests
in our own Jenkins instance [4], but also use the CentOS CI [5] for some
heavier testing.

Any guidance, suggestions and opinions are most welcome!

Many thanks,
Niels

1. https://github.com/openstack/cinder/commit/16e93ccd4f3a6d62ed9d277f03b64bccc63ae060
2. http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/integration/2017-May/000024.html