[GEDI] Removing glfs_ipc() from libgfapi

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Mon Jul 17 12:00:04 UTC 2017

In libgfapi.so we offer a function called glfs_ipc(). This function
makes it possible to call the IPC procedure/FOP. Because IPC is intended
for xlator-internal communication, there should be no need for external
programs to call this. The commands that are accepted through the
glfs_ipc() function are not exposed in any gfapi header, making it
tricky for an application to call glfs_ipc() in the first place.

At one point, glfs_ipc() was 'upgraded' to function for Gluster 4.0.
This change modified the parameters that glfs_ipc() needs. The new
version expects two dict_t arguments, which is not exposed through
libgfapi at all.

I would like to know who is planning to use glfs_ipc(), and for what
reason. We may be able to come up with a better alternative. If there
really is a strong need for glfs_ipc(), it should probably move to a
private header. If nobody needs glfs_ipc(), it will be removed from
glusterfs-3.12 on.

Please leave your comments in https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues/269

Thanks,
Niels