[heketi-devel] Start Heketi setup afresh

Raghavendra Talur rtalur at redhat.com
Thu Sep 28 12:06:42 UTC 2017

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 11:27 PM, Gaurav Chhabra
<varuag.chhabra at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I tried setting up Gluster cluster on Google cloud. It went fine. I always
> stop the test instances when not in use. One day, when i started my Gluster
> instances, few bricks went offline and i tried bringing them up but i
> couldn't. I then tried removing the volumes but it gave me error related to
> "device in use" and i think i also saw "bricks in use" messages. I tried
> removing bricks but i couldn't. I finally thought of removing the extra raw
> disks from all nodes that i initially added. But i guess Heketi was unable
> to forget its past. I finally had to discard all the machines and created a
> fresh three node cluster. :( All i wanted was to have a clean slate to start
> with. In next two-three days, i will be starting with the actual setup on
> live environment and using it for managing Kubernetes. Though in that case,
> i will not be shutting down the cluster when not in use :) but i am
> wondering if there is a way of resetting all things (bricks, volumes,
> devices, nodes) in Gluster and Heketi, if such case arises, so i could start
> afresh with the Heketi setup. Data backup is not a concern here as i am
> considering this scenario only during the initial setup phase.
>

> Regards,
> Gaurav

Heketi does provide you mechanism to disable and remove devices/nodes.
Once that is performed you can delete them. Yes, it is a iterative
process at the end of which you will be left with nothing in topology.

One thing to note is that you need to clean the disks of partition
info for heketi to reuse them.

Also, everything that heketi knows is in the db. If you delete the db
file you have essentially created a fresh heketi instance. You will
still have to clean the disks and gluster information though.

Let us know if you are looking for a step by step guide to get this done.

Talur