[heketi-devel] Remove Device: Used to distribute all the bricks from device to other devices

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Thu Mar 9 21:31:26 UTC 2017

On 2017-03-09 at 16:17 -0500, Luis Pabon wrote:
> This looks great.  Thanks for the state machine diagram.

Indeed!

> On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 11:06 AM, Raghavendra Talur <rtalur at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
> > The PR now has the API changes requested.
> >
> > Before review, here is the current state diagram
> >

> > +-----------------+     disable/offline  +------------------+
> > |                 |--------------------->|                  |
> > |                 |                      | Offline/Disabled |
> > | Online/Enabled  |<---------------------|                  |
> > |                 |      enable/online   |                  |
> > +-----------------+                      +------------------+
> >       ^                                          ^        |
> >       |                                          |        |remove
> >       |                                   offline|        |
> >       |add                                       |        |
> >       |                                          |        |
> >       |                                          |        |
> >       |                                          |        v
> > +------------------+                     +-------------------+
> > |                  |                     |                   |
> > | Deleted          |                     |   Failed/Removed  |
> > |                  |<--------------------|                   |
> > |                  |          delete     |                   |
> > +------------------+                     +-------------------+
> >
> > ​
> >
> > The current implementation *requires* the device to be in "Offline" state
> > before it can be removed. Some of the operations shown above aren't
> > implemented yet.

I was wondering if some of those should or can
be implemented at all:

* deleted        ----[add]----> online
* failed/removed --[offline]--> offline/disabled

I assume that these are the ops not implemented (yet).

I think remove should be a one-way operation.
And similar for deletion. Or is the 'deleted' state
something that is equivalent to a new disk not being
used at all in any volume?

Apart from these questions -- great!

Thanks - Michael