[heketi-devel] [heketi] Pre-existing GlusterFS cluster

Luis Pabon lpabon at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 20:16:28 UTC 2017

Hi José,
  This has been asked for many many times.  Heketi was designed to "rule
them all".  Heketi was never designed for systems that have been setup
already because the permutations of possibilities of configurations could
be extensive to figure out how to manage.  It is like creating a Ceph Rados
system by yourself, then asking the pool manager to figure out what you
did.  If instead Ceph is viewed as a collection of the access+pool+storage
and not as individual parts, then it all works well and is predictable.  In
the same way, it should not be viewed as Heketi managing GlusterFS, but
Heketi/GlusterFS instead.  Once this view is accepted (which is what users
want, but old school gluster users have a hard time with), then what Heketi
currently does makes perfect sense.

So, back to the question, no, Heketi does not and will never manage such a
model.  Any software that manages such a configuration would be hard to
productize and guarantee.  Can you make a hack that does it? Maybe, but
reliability and simplicity is what Heketi is after.

Hope this answers your question.

- Luis