[Gluster-users] Gluster 10 used ports

Alan Orth alan.orth at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 17:07:27 UTC 2023

Hi Marcus,

I'm noticing that too. It seems the previous brick port behavior changed in
GlusterFS 10 and the change was poorly communicated. The admin docs¹ have
this note:

> From Gluster-10 onwards, the brick ports will be randomized. A port is
randomly selected within the range of base_port to max_port as defined in
glusterd.vol file and then assigned to the brick.

The variables are actually "base-port" and "max-port" (not "base_port"),
and it seems to be:

# grep -rsI -E '(base|max)-port' /etc/glusterfs/
/etc/glusterfs/glusterd.vol:#   option base-port 49152
/etc/glusterfs/glusterd.vol:    option max-port  60999

This change was not announced in the GlusterFS 10 release announcement²,
though there's a link to a related issue about randomizing port selection
during startup³:

> Randomized port selection for bricks, improves startup time #786
<https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues/786>

I updated my firewall and now clients can mount volumes. The docs should be
updated here if anyone feels like making a pull request:

-
https://github.com/gluster/glusterdocs/blob/master/docs/Administrator-Guide/Setting-Up-Clients.md
-
https://github.com/gluster/glusterdocs/blob/master/docs/release-notes/10.0.md

Regards,

¹
https://docs.gluster.org/en/main/Administrator-Guide/Setting-Up-Clients/#installing-the-gluster-native-client
² https://docs.gluster.org/en/main/release-notes/10.0/
³ https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues/786

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 6:54 AM Marcus Pedersén <marcus.pedersen at slu.se>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Over the years I have been using the same ports in my firewall
> for gluster 49152-49251 ( I know a bit too many ports but
> local network with limited access)
>
> Today I upgraded from version 9 to version 10 and it finally
> went well until I ran:
> gluster volume heal my-vol info summary
> I got the answer:
>
> I realized that glusterfsd was using 50000+ ports so
> I opened up more ports and it works fine again.
>
> Are the port changes something new in gluster 10?
>
> I browsed through the doc and search online without
> finding any info.
>
> Which are the correct ports to open up in my firewall?
>
> Running on debian bullseye.
>
> Thanks alot in advance!!
>
> Best regards
> Marcus
> ---
> När du skickar e-post till SLU så innebär detta att SLU behandlar dina
> personuppgifter. För att läsa mer om hur detta går till, klicka här <
> https://www.slu.se/om-slu/kontakta-slu/personuppgifter/>
> E-mailing SLU will result in SLU processing your personal data. For more
> information on how this is done, click here <
> https://www.slu.se/en/about-slu/contact-slu/personal-data/>
> ________
>

> Community Meeting Calendar:
>
> Schedule -
> Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 14:30 IST / 09:00 UTC
> Bridge: https://meet.google.com/cpu-eiue-hvk

Alan Orth
alan.orth at gmail.com
https://picturingjordan.com