[Gluster-users] Replica bricks fungible?

Andreas Schwibbe a.schwibbe at gmx.net
Tue Mar 1 11:02:58 UTC 2022

Confirmed for gluster 7.9 in distributed-replicate and pure replicate
volume.

One of my 3 nodes died :(
I removed all bricks from dead node and added to new node.
I then started to add an arbiter volume as the distributed-replicate is
configured for 2 replica 1 arbiter.
I made sure to use the exact mount point and path and double / triple
checked the bricks had the same file content in any given dir exactly
as the running bricks it was about to be paired again. Then I used
replace-brick command to replace dead-node:brick0 with new-node:brick0.
Did this one by one for all bricks...

It took a while to get the replacement-node up and running, so the
cluster was still operational and in use. When finally moved all bricks
self-heal-daemon started heal on several files.
All worked out perfectly and with no downtime.

Finally I detached the dead node.
Done.

A.