[Gluster-users] Is such level of performance degradation to be expected?

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Sun Jan 30 20:30:17 UTC 2022

Il 2022-01-23 06:37 Sam ha scritto:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am just starting up with Gluster so pardon my ignorance if I am
> doing something incorrectly. In order to test the efficiency of
> GlusterFS, I wanted to compare its performance with the native file
> system on which it resides and thus I kept both gluster server &
> client on localhost to discount the role of network.

Hi Sam,
in short, yes: Gluster commands a severe performance penalty. While you
can recover some of it via tuning, comparing it to a native filesystem
is going to show bad results.

For more information, please read the thread here (where I discussed the
very same issue):
https://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2020-January/037601.html

This in no way means Gluster is bad. Rather, it a specific product with
its specific use cases and expected workloads.
Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico