[Gluster-users] [EXT] Renaming a brick.

TomK tomkcpr at mdevsys.com
Wed Jan 5 04:42:40 UTC 2022

Thank you all for this.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to try this.  In my
attempt to change the brick name, I noticed I'm on Gluster 3.13  (Not a
typo) .  So I proceeded to update to 6.10 then from there, to 9.4.  To
6.10 it went fine however from 6.10 to 9.4 everything blew up.  I got a
torrent of error messages.  Struggled on it for several hours but no luck.

So I ended up blowing up the cluster after copying the data out to a
single drive, then copying it back to the Gluster 9.4 cluster once the
cluster was ready.  Would have loved to debug to see what to do about
each error but I simply ran out of time and needed to get the cluster
back up quickly. ( Still have most of the logs if interested but without
some context, it would be somewhat meaningless. )

Nontheless, I'll keep the notes below. I have a few more Gluster
clusters to work on.

Cheers

On 2022-01-04 8:55 a.m., Olaf Buitelaar wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> I think you could use the replace-brick sub-command; like: "gluster
> volume replace-brick <vol> <host>:/bricks/0/gv01
>  <host>:/bricks/0/abc-gv01  commit force"
> see;
> https://docs.gluster.org/en/latest/Administrator-Guide/Managing-Volumes/#replace-brick
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Olaf
>
> Op di 4 jan. 2022 om 12:50 schreef Stefan Solbrig <stefan.solbrig at ur.de>:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I use the sequence below to move a brick to a different peer. I
>     assume it also works for renaming a brick (just put peer01 =
>     peer02 = whateveryourpeeris).  I used this on a distributed-only
>     volume (no replication) running glusterfs 9.3.
>     Please note that I didn't to extensive tests and I didn't find any
>     documentation if this is officially supported.
>
>     best wishes,
>     -Stefan
>
>     #----------------------
>
>         # stop glusterfsd for brick:
>
>     gluster v reset-brick gvol peer01:/old/path start
>
>         # in your case,  you probably want to do something here like
>
>     mv  /old/path /new/path
>
>         #  add the moved path as new brick:
>
>     gluster v add-brick gvol peer02:/new/path force
>
>         # Order is important!
>         # if brick is removed before other brick is added,
>         # will lead to duplicate files.
>         #  remove old brick (which does not exist any longer)
>
>     gluster v remove-brick gvol peer01:/old/path force
>
>         # probably not necessary in your case:
>
>     gluster v rebalance gvol fix-layout  start
>
>     #------------------
>

>     > Hey All,
>     >
>     > Is there a way to rename a brick within an existing gluster volume?
>     >
>     > /bricks/0/gv01  -> /bricks/0/abc-gv01
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > --
>     > Thx,
>     > TK.
>     >

>     ________
>

>     Community Meeting Calendar:
>
>     Schedule -
>     Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 14:30 IST / 09:00 UTC
>     Bridge: https://meet.google.com/cpu-eiue-hvk
>     Gluster-users mailing list
>     Gluster-users at gluster.org
>

> ________
>

> Community Meeting Calendar:
>
> Schedule -
> Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 14:30 IST / 09:00 UTC
> Bridge:https://meet.google.com/cpu-eiue-hvk

Thx,
TK.