[Gluster-users] Using other then Trusted namespace for Gluster Extended Attributes

Amar Tumballi amar at kadalu.io
Mon Jan 25 12:13:46 UTC 2021

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 4:40 PM <benhoventrosky at email.cz> wrote:

> Hi Everybody,
>
> Could you please tell me is it possible to configure Gluster to use other
> namespace then Trusted for Extended Attributes (xattr)?

Yes

> Or is this something that you plan to develop in future?
> It’s OK to say no ;-).

No (at least from kadalu.io we have not planned for this work in 2021).

> The reason I’m asking is that in unprivileged container
> (Docker, rootless Podman) it is possible to use "User" namespace
> (setfattr -n user.abc -v "xyz" file will work) but "Trusted" namespace
> is just for root (setfattr -n trusted.abc -v "xyz" file will not work).
>
> Unfortunately Trusted namespace makes impossible to use Gluster
> in rootless containers...

Just noticed https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues/1239 also talked
about the same.. added my comments in the issue itself, so we can take the
discussion there.

Regards,
Amar

> Thank you.
>
> Ben H
> ________
>

> Community Meeting Calendar:
>
> Schedule -
> Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 14:30 IST / 09:00 UTC
> Bridge: https://meet.google.com/cpu-eiue-hvk

https://kadalu.io
Container Storage made easy!