[Gluster-users] Upgrading from glusterfs 3.12.15 on CentOS7 to gluster-6

Strahil Nikolov hunter86_bg at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 2 19:59:57 UTC 2020

You can enable the CentOS Storage SIG repos for gluster.

#yum search centos-release-gluster

======================================================== N/S matched: centos-release-gluster ========================================================
centos-release-gluster-legacy.noarch : Disable unmaintained Gluster repositories from the CentOS Storage SIG
centos-release-gluster40.x86_64 : Gluster 4.0 (Short Term Stable) packages from the CentOS Storage SIG repository
centos-release-gluster41.noarch : Gluster 4.1 (Long Term Stable) packages from the CentOS Storage SIG repository
centos-release-gluster5.noarch : Gluster 5 packages from the CentOS Storage SIG repository
centos-release-gluster6.noarch : Gluster 6 packages from the CentOS Storage SIG repository
centos-release-gluster7.noarch : Gluster 7 packages from the CentOS Storage SIG repository

As far as I know 3.12.15 allows you to upgrade without downtime to higher versions of Gluster. As far as I remember I upgraded from that version to 5.5 some time ago, but should also work with 6.X ...

Best Regards,
Strahil Nikolov

В петък, 2 октомври 2020 г., 19:19:38 Гринуич+3, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik at iki.fi> написа:

Hello list,

I have a system running old CentOS 7.5 + glusterfs 3.12.15 from centos-gluster312 repo.
Anyone here on the list who upgraded such a setup to a later glusterfs release, for example to glusterfs 6.x?

It seems I can't upgrade the CentOS7 base OS to newest version anymore because later rhel7/CentOS7 releases contain glusterfs-6.0 client libraries in the base repo, making "yum update" to fail due to dependency problems between base repo and the installed gluster312 packages:

yum output example:

Error: Package: glusterfs-server-3.12.15-1.el7.x86_64 (@centos-gluster312)
          Requires: glusterfs-cli = 3.12.15-1.el7
          Removing: glusterfs-cli-3.12.15-1.el7.x86_64 (@centos-gluster312)
              glusterfs-cli = 3.12.15-1.el7
          Updated By: glusterfs-cli-6.0-29.el7.x86_64 (base)
              glusterfs-cli = 6.0-29.el7

So I think I probably first need to upgrade from centos-gluster312 repo/rpms to centos-gluster6 repo rpms, which includes the latest glusterfs-6.10 rpms, which are newer than the glusterfs-6.0 rpms in the base OS, and that probably fixes the dependency problems..

Any thoughts? Did anyone have the same problem? How did you solve it?

How about experiences upgrading from glusterfs 3.12 to glusterfs 6.x in general? How did it go? Any known problems?
(I know there was many issues earlier, but afaik many/most of those got fixed in later glusterfs 6.x versions).

Thanks a lot,

-- Pasi

________

Community Meeting Calendar: