[Gluster-users] Upgrading from glusterfs 3.12.15 on CentOS7 to gluster-6

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Fri Oct 2 16:03:25 UTC 2020

Hello list,

I have a system running old CentOS 7.5 + glusterfs 3.12.15 from centos-gluster312 repo.
Anyone here on the list who upgraded such a setup to a later glusterfs release, for example to glusterfs 6.x?

It seems I can't upgrade the CentOS7 base OS to newest version anymore because later rhel7/CentOS7 releases contain glusterfs-6.0 client libraries in the base repo, making "yum update" to fail due to dependency problems between base repo and the installed gluster312 packages:

yum output example:

Error: Package: glusterfs-server-3.12.15-1.el7.x86_64 (@centos-gluster312)
           Requires: glusterfs-cli = 3.12.15-1.el7
           Removing: glusterfs-cli-3.12.15-1.el7.x86_64 (@centos-gluster312)
               glusterfs-cli = 3.12.15-1.el7
           Updated By: glusterfs-cli-6.0-29.el7.x86_64 (base)
               glusterfs-cli = 6.0-29.el7

So I think I probably first need to upgrade from centos-gluster312 repo/rpms to centos-gluster6 repo rpms, which includes the latest glusterfs-6.10 rpms, which are newer than the glusterfs-6.0 rpms in the base OS, and that probably fixes the dependency problems..

Any thoughts? Did anyone have the same problem? How did you solve it?

How about experiences upgrading from glusterfs 3.12 to glusterfs 6.x in general? How did it go? Any known problems?
(I know there was many issues earlier, but afaik many/most of those got fixed in later glusterfs 6.x versions).

Thanks a lot,

-- Pasi