[Gluster-users] Memory and CPU

Olivier Olivier.Nicole at cs.ait.ac.th
Tue Mar 24 05:37:33 UTC 2020

> >I am running a small Gluster environment with only 4 nodes. And am
> >wondering how my gluster machines should be sized: they are 2CPU and
> >4GB
> >RAM, but as soon as I connect a client to NFS Ganesha it will start
> >swapping like crazy and soon Ganesha will die.
> >
> >I have been running an NFS server with less than 4GB RAM and 5 or 6
> >clients for years without issue.
> >
> >Is there a way I can configure both gluster and ganesha to be less
> >voracious with RAM?
> >
> >TIA,
> >
> >Olivier
>
> Hi Oliver,
>
> Have you checked if your distribution is building the gluster packages  with the old NFS support?
> If it does, then you can use the built-in NFS server which requires less ram.
>
> About your question, I'm not sure you can control  that. Have you tried  using FUSE client on your  end systems ?

I have tried that, but had to build from source as Gluster on FreeBSD is
not much maintained.

Now when I try to mount.glusterfs, I get the following error:

 [quick-read.c:1193:check_cache_size_ok] 0-gv0-quick-read: Cache size 134217728 is greater than the max size of 0

I confirm that the performance.cache-size of the volume is actually
128MB:

on at gluster:~$ sudo gluster vol get gv0 all|grep cache-size
[sudo] password for on:
performance.cache-size                  32MB
performance.cache-size                  128MB

Where is the value 0 comming from? From my FreeBSD client I guess, how
to change that?

And why is the volume reporting 2 diffrent values for
performance.cache-sieze.

TIA,

Olivier