[Gluster-users] Latest NFS-Ganesha Gluster Integration docs

WK wkmail at bneit.com
Tue Jun 30 00:02:32 UTC 2020

On 6/28/2020 8:52 PM, Strahil Nikolov wrote:
> Last time I did storhaug+NFS-Ganesha I used https://github.com/gluster/storhaug/wiki .

Well, that certainly helps but since i have no experience with Samba, I
guess I have to learn about ctdb

What I see are lots of layers here. Even a simple graphic would help,
but I guess I will just have to soldier through it.

> I guess you can setup NFS-Ganesha without HA and check the performance before  proceeding further.

yes, I setup a simple NFS-Ganesha single node and have begun to play
with that using an XFS store. Pretty Straightforward.

Next step would be to use the Gluster Storage Driver. Then figure out
the HA part of Storhaug/CTDB and how well it can be run in a
hyperconverged scenario.

Not exactly like the QuickStart on the Gluster docs though <Grin>

> Have you tuned your I/O scheduler,  tuned profile , aligned your PV ,etc ? There  are  alot of stuff that can improve your Gluster.

yes, we have been doing this awhile (since Gluster 3.3) and do tuning.
Again, Our Gluster performance isn't 'bad' from our perspective. We are
just looking to see if there are some noticeable gains to be made with
NFS vs FuseMount.

I suppose if we hadn't seen so many complaints about Fuse on the mailing
list we wouldn't have thought much about it <Grin>.

Of course with lots of small files we have alwayss used MooseFS (since
1.6), as that is Glusters weakness.  They make a good combination of tools.

> Also, you can check the settings in /var/lib/glusterd/groups/virt  . The  settings  are used by oVirt/RHV and are the optimal settings for a Virtualization.

yes we always enable Virt settings and they make a big difference.

> P.S.: Red Hat support Hyperconverged Infrastructure with 512MB shards, while the default shard size is 64MB. You can test on another volume setting a bigger shard size.

Yes we noticed a while back that there was a  discrepancy between the
RedHat docs saying bigger shards are better (i.e. 512MB) and 64MB on the
virt group. We have played with different settings but didn't really
notice much of a difference. You get a smaller number of heals but they
are bigger and take longer to sync.

Does anyone know why the difference and the reasoning involved?

-WK