[Gluster-users] State of Gluster project

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Thu Jun 18 17:27:19 UTC 2020

On 6/18/20 12:41 PM, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote
> Top Poster ;-)
>
> And in fact, it's not true. The clear message to me once was: we are not able
> to make a kernel version.
> Which I understood as: we have not the knowledge to do that.
> Since that was quite some time before Red Hat stepped in there was still hope
> that some day someone capable may come ...
> Since 2009 when I entered the list there was not a single month where there
> were no complaints about gluster being slow. I wonder if you could accept
> after 11 years and the projects near death now that I was right from the very
> first day.

This is an amazingly unreasonable comment.
First off ALL distributed file systems are slower than non-distributed
file systems.
Second ALL network file systems are slower than local hardware.

Kernel inclusion does not make for a radically faster implementation.
I have worked with Kernel included NFS and user space NFS
implementations and the performance differences have not been all that
amazingly radical.

If your so convinced that a kernel included file system is the answer
you are free to implement a solution.
I am sure the project maintainers would love to have someone come along
and improve the code.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||