[Gluster-users] State of Gluster project

Ivan Rossi rouge2507 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 08:18:45 UTC 2020

On 6/17/20 6:19 AM, Dmitry Melekhov wrote:
> 17.06.2020 01:06, Mahdi Adnan пишет:
>> Hello,
>>
>>  I'm wondering what's the current and future plan for Gluster project
>> overall, I see that the project is not as busy as it was before "at
>> least this is what I'm seeing" Like there are fewer blogs about what
>> the roadmap or future plans of the project, the deprecation of
>> Glusterd2, even Red Hat Openshift storage switched to Ceph.
>> As the community of this project, do you feel the same? Is the
>> deprecation of Glusterd2 concerning? Do you feel that the project is
>> slowing down somehow? Do you think Red Hat is abandoning the project
>> or giving fewer resources to Gluster?
>>

> Gluster2 was mistake, imho. It's deprecation means nothing.
>
> For me looks like gluster in now stable , this is why it is not as
> busy as before.

Some parts of Gluster have been really stable for a very long time now.
Which is good, IMHO. I want to be bored by storage, because valuable
data is there. And new features obviously make situation less boring ;)
bc they are... new (and buggy).

Furthermore it should be remembered that Gluster had been driven for a
long time by RedHat, that is a company, and used gluster community in a
similar way to what they do with Fedora/RHEL.

You want maximum stability, you pay for RH Gluster Storage (or whatever
it is called now). You go with community, you have similar risks to
runing Fedora in production.

Having said that, I really appreciated the statement that core
development will focus on stability first.

Gluster community now is very different from what it was just 2 years
ago. Several Gluster people left RH or moved to different projects.
Conversely, new companies are now involved with Gluster. In a sense it
may be a new start. Let's see as it turns out.

Ivan