[Gluster-users] State of Gluster project

Aravinda VK aravinda at kadalu.io
Wed Jun 17 05:38:40 UTC 2020

Hi Mahdi,

I am writing my views as an external contributor outside the Red Hat. Hopefully, someone from Red Hat will respond with their focus/roadmap on Gluster development.

Recently Amar wrote about the focus of the GlusterFS core team(https://www.gluster.org/update-from-the-team/ <https://www.gluster.org/update-from-the-team/>). He mentioned that the attention of the core team would be stabilizing the FS layer and enable the ecosystem to adapt to their environment quickly.

From Kadalu.io <http://kadalu.io/>(https://kadalu.io <https://kadalu.io/>), we love GlusterFS and focusing on creating an Opinionated Storage solution based on GlusterFS. GlusterFS is so modular that it enables us to integrate natively with Kubernetes APIs without the need of Gluster's management layer Glusterd. Other projects we are focussing on now are Moana and Binnacle. Moana(https://github.com/kadalu/moana) is an external control plane for managing the GlusterFS storage layer. And Binnacle(https://github.com/kadalu/binnacle <https://github.com/kadalu/binnacle>) is a distributed test framework with the focus on Tester's delight.

I do see a lot of activity in our Slack channel, at present more than 200 members in the Gluster Slack channel, which is encouraging. Please do join if not already joined.

https://join.slack.com/t/gluster/shared_invite/enQtODMwMDU5MTI0OTQ3LTNjMTA4NTJmMDY3OGM4YTA0ZDlhOGM5ZWYzNjRkYmQ0Mjg3NDUxODRjZGI4ZjQxNDczNTYxZWZjMmY5NDMyNzM <https://join.slack.com/t/gluster/shared_invite/enQtODMwMDU5MTI0OTQ3LTNjMTA4NTJmMDY3OGM4YTA0ZDlhOGM5ZWYzNjRkYmQ0Mjg3NDUxODRjZGI4ZjQxNDczNTYxZWZjMmY5NDMyNzM>

In summary, I agree that GlusterFS needs a lot of improvement in Performance, Monitoring, Documentation, and other areas. I am very hopeful that we will get there soon.

--
Regards
Aravinda Vishwanathapura