[Gluster-users] GlusterFS over multiples HDD

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Thu Jul 30 13:11:46 UTC 2020

LVM supports mirroring or raid1.
So to create a raid1 you would do something like "lvcreate -n raidvol
-L 1T --mirrors 1  /dev/bigvg"
You can add a mirror to an existing logical volume using lvconvert with
something like "lvconvert --mirrors +1 bigvg/unmirroredlv"

But other than simple mirroring you will need mdadm.

On 7/30/20 8:39 AM, Gilberto Nunes wrote:
> Doing some research and the chvg command, which is responsable for
> create hotspare disks in LVM is available only in AIX!
> I have a Debian Buster box and there is no such command chvg. Correct
> me if I am wrong....
> ---
> Gilberto Nunes Ferreira
>
> (47) 3025-5907
> (47) 99676-7530 - Whatsapp / Telegram
>
> Skype: gilberto.nunes36
>

> Em qui., 30 de jul. de 2020 às 02:05, Strahil Nikolov
> <hunter86_bg at yahoo.com <mailto:hunter86_bg at yahoo.com>> escreveu:
>
>     LVM allows creating/converting striped/mirrored LVs without any
>     dowtime and it's using the md module.
>
>     Best Regards,
>     Strahil Nikolov
>
>     На 28 юли 2020 г. 22:43:39 GMT+03:00, Gilberto Nunes
>     <gilberto.nunes32 at gmail.com <mailto:gilberto.nunes32 at gmail.com>>
>     написа:
>     >Hi there....
>     >
>     >'till now, I am using glusterfs over XFS and so far so good.
>     >Using LVM too....
>     >Unfortunately, there is no way with XFS to merge two or more HDD, in
>     >order
>     >to use more than one HDD, like RAID1 or RAID5.
>     >My primary goal is to use two server with GlusterFS on top of
>     multiples
>     >HDDs for qemu images.
>     >I have think about BTRFS or mdadm.
>     >Anybody has some experience on this?
>     >
>     >Thanks a lot
>     >
>     >---
>     >Gilberto Nunes Ferreira
>

> ________
>

> Community Meeting Calendar:
>
> Schedule -
> Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 14:30 IST / 09:00 UTC
> Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||