[Gluster-users] Thin Arbiter (was Gluster 7 or 8?)

wkmail wkmail at bneit.com
Sat Dec 19 21:42:20 UTC 2020

well, that is why I was asking.

Yes, we are extremely satisfied with the existing arbiter. It makes a
measurable difference vs true Replica 3.

I was curious as to if Thin Arbiter was an *improvement* over regular
Arbiter or even considered the new 'Arbiter' going forward.

The documentation indicates that Thin Arbiter is faster because we
aren't waiting for the arbiter write to complete during full quorum ops.

However the doc's dont indicate if there is a safety cost over
traditional arbiter, nor does it really say how much faster TA would be
vs a traditional arbiter with an SSD/NVME sitting right next to the
cluster on the same gluster network.

The docs do imply it was primarily designed for the out of band case you
mentioned.

I was just curious if anyone had any real world experience and if it was
considered stable and seems to work as advertised. I would so some
testing on it.

-wk