[Gluster-users] Thin Arbiter (was Gluster 7 or 8?)

Strahil Nikolov hunter86_bg at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 19 17:50:36 UTC 2020

You already mentioned that regular arbiter works fine for you .

What are the considerations to switch from regular to thin arbiter ?

I think that thin arbiter is suitable for environments where a third node is not possible locally and is a compromise in order to avoid 'replica 2' volumes.

Best Regards,
Strahil Nikolov

В петък, 18 декември 2020 г., 23:54:59 Гринуич+2, WK <wkmail at bneit.com> написа:

OK, so it seems 8.x is the way to go

So what about Thin Arbiter?

Is anyone one using it in production?

-wk

On 12/18/2020 12:59 AM, Olaf Buitelaar wrote:

> It is in their release notes; https://docs.gluster.org/en/latest/release-notes/7.9/
>

> Ok, we've usually good experiences with inplace update's. But taking the safe route is always a good idea!
>

> Op do 17 dec. 2020 om 19:49 schreef WK <wkmail at bneit.com>:
>

>> On 12/17/2020 10:13 AM, Olaf Buitelaar wrote:
>>> Hi WK,
>>>
>>> i believe gluster 7 just received it's
>>> latest maintenance patch @version 7.9. so that's a dead end from there on.
>>>
>> Hmm, ok, the website should reflect that then.
>>

>>> I'm not sure if you can skip a whole version going straight to 8.
>>
>> well it would be a forklift upgrade.
>>
>> We build up new boxes and migrate over the data.
>>
>> The one area we have been burned before on Gluster is doing in place
>> upgrades. Since we don't have all our eggs in one basket we can migrate
>> one cluster at a time that way.

________

Community Meeting Calendar:

Schedule -