[Gluster-users] Gluster cluster questions

Aravinda VK aravinda at kadalu.io
Wed Aug 19 16:06:23 UTC 2020

Hi Volker,

> On 19-Aug-2020, at 8:32 PM, Volker Dormeyer <vd at d7informatics.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Aravinda,
>
> Thank you!!
>
> On 8/19/20 1:47 PM, Aravinda VK wrote:
>
>> https://kadalu.io can be used as alternative to Heketi to use
>> GlusterFS with Kubernetes. Create two Storage pools one with SSD and
>> another with HDD, and create Storage class to use these pools.
>>
>> https://kadalu.io/docs/k8s-storage/latest/storage-classes
>
> This sounds promising! I read through the documentation. A few questions
> came up:
>
> 1. I need Kubernetes on the storage cluster? Right? This would be a good
> thing.

`kubectl kadalu install` will install all pods which are required to run GlusterFS server and Client. Kadalu also supports external GlusterFS outside Kubernetes.

> 2. Which components are required on the client Cluster? I mean the
> Kubernetes Clusters which make use of the storage cluster? At least a
> client to mount the storage would be required.

Kadalu csi pods includes GlusterFS client bits, CSI node plugin will automatically mounts the PV when when application Pod starts.

> 3. How far is the ARM64 implementation?
>
> This is from the github site:
>
> The release versions and 'latest' versions are not yet ARM ready! But we
> have an image for |linux/arm64|,|linux/arm/v7| platform support!

Our recent tests showing very promising results, hope the upcoming release will have latest images with Arm support. Feel free to open issues/RFE here
https://github.com/kadalu/kadalu/issues

> Best Regards,
> Volker

Aravinda Vishwanathapura