[Gluster-users] Volume to store vm

Ramon Selga ramon.selga at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 21:08:52 UTC 2019

Hi Cristian,

Both approaches are correct but they have different usable capacity and
tolerance to node failures.

First one is a full replica 3 meaning you get your total node capacity divided
by 3, because replica 3, and it tolerates a simultaneous of two nodes and very
good for split-brain avoidance.

Second one is a replica 2 with arbiter, also very good for split-brain avoidance
(that's purpose of arbiter bricks). In this case you get your total capacity
divided by two except a little space going to arbiter-bricks, may be less than
1% of normal storage bricks. It tolerates one node failure at the same time.

For VM usage remember to enable sharding with a shard size of 256MB at least
before use volume.

If efficiency between total and usable capacity is a concern for you and you
think you could tolerate only one node failure at the same time, may I suggest
you to use a distributed dispersed 3 redundancy 1 volume?. You will get your
total capacity divided by 3 times 2 (that's 2/3 of total capacity) and this
config still tolerates one node failure at the same time.

Hope this helps.

*Ramon Selga*

934 76 69 10
670 25 37 05

DataLab SL <http://www.datalab.es/>

Aviso Legal <http://www.datalab.es/cont_cas/legal.html>

El 06/09/19 a les 17:11, Cristian Del Carlo ha escrit: