[Gluster-users] Rebalancing newly added bricks

Herb Burnswell herbert.burnswell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 12:28:59 UTC 2019

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 9:56 PM Nithya Balachandran <nbalacha at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 at 02:41, Herb Burnswell <herbert.burnswell at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the replies.  The rebalance is running and the brick
>> percentages are not adjusting as expected:
>>
>> # df -hP |grep data
>> /dev/mapper/gluster_vg-gluster_lv1_data   60T   49T   11T  83%
>> /gluster_bricks/data1
>> /dev/mapper/gluster_vg-gluster_lv2_data   60T   49T   11T  83%
>> /gluster_bricks/data2
>> /dev/mapper/gluster_vg-gluster_lv3_data   60T  4.6T   55T   8%
>> /gluster_bricks/data3
>> /dev/mapper/gluster_vg-gluster_lv4_data   60T  4.6T   55T   8%
>> /gluster_bricks/data4
>> /dev/mapper/gluster_vg-gluster_lv5_data   60T  4.6T   55T   8%
>> /gluster_bricks/data5
>> /dev/mapper/gluster_vg-gluster_lv6_data   60T  4.6T   55T   8%
>> /gluster_bricks/data6
>>
>> At the current pace it looks like this will continue to run for another
>> 5-6 days.
>>
>> I appreciate the guidance..
>>

> What is the output of the rebalance status command?
> Can you check if there are any errors in the rebalance logs on the node
> on which you see rebalance activity?
> If there are a lot of small files on the volume, the rebalance is expected
> to take time.
>
> Regards,
> Nithya

My apologies, that was a typo.  I meant to say:

"The rebalance is running and the brick percentages are NOW adjusting as
expected"

I did expect the rebalance to take several days.  The rebalance log is not
showing any errors.  Status output:

# gluster vol rebalance tank status
                                    Node Rebalanced-files          size
  scanned      failures       skipped               status  run time in
h:m:s
                               ---------      -----------   -----------
                               localhost          1251320        35.5TB
  2079527             0             0          in progress      139:9:46
                               serverB                         0
 0Bytes             7             0             0            completed
  63:47:55
volume rebalance: tank: success

Thanks again for the guidance.

HB