[Gluster-users] rsa.pub at https://download.gluster.org/pub/gluster/glusterfs/LATEST/?

Shane St Savage shane at axiomdatascience.com
Wed Oct 30 23:16:16 UTC 2019

> Why is this preferable to what's in the README.txt (i.e. "wget -O -
https://download.gluster.org/pub/gluster/glusterfs/5/rsa.pub | apt-key add
-") ?

> You import the key once, and it works for every update after that? That's
what Louis Zuckerman (a.k.a. semiosis), the original gluster debian
packager suggested. I don't know enough to know why your deb cmd is better
than semiosis' apt-key add cmd?

> Also the fact that the key hasn't actually changed since glusterfs-5
means, among other things, you only need to change the
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/gluster.list and updates to -6 or -7 will just keep
working with the key you already imported.

These things might be fine if you're manually maintaining a handful of
servers (pets), but they're detrimental when maintaining large amounts of
servers/VMs/Docker images/etc which need to be provisioned from scratch
with reliable, repeatable recipes (cattle). Users shouldn't have to know or
care that they need to install rsa.pub from version 5, 6, or 7 to install
the LATEST client, nor should they need to know that rsa.pub hasn't changed
since version 5. They should know that they can always install LATEST with
a key available at a stable URL (e.g.
https://download.gluster.org/pub/gluster/glusterfs/LATEST/rsa.pub), even
when new versions are released.

> I have the possibly mistaken impression that not everyone wants to always
use .../glusterfs/LATEST.  Some people want to install glusterfs-6 and stay
on -6, i.e. .../glusterfs/6/LATEST. And they'd be really upset if they came
in one morning to find that an automatic update (however good or bad an
idea that is) had updated them to glusterfs-7 when they weren't ready for
it. (And worse, if it broke their system.)

Absolutely, that's why both
https://download.gluster.org/pub/gluster/glusterfs/7/LATEST/ and
https://download.gluster.org/pub/gluster/glusterfs/LATEST/ exist, right?
I'm not suggesting that anything within the major version folders change,
I'm suggesting that in addition to the
https://download.gluster.org/pub/gluster/glusterfs/LATEST/ repo we also
have a LATEST rsa.pub at a URL which doesn't change. If internally
https://download.gluster.org/pub/gluster/glusterfs/LATEST/ is just a
symlink and it doensn't make sense to put said LATEST rsa.pub inside that
dir, maybe it could be top level (
https://download.gluster.org/pub/gluster/glusterfs/LATEST_rsa.pub or
similar). It really doesn't matter where it is, as long as it doesn't move
and always matches
https://download.gluster.org/pub/gluster/glusterfs/LATEST/.

> And apropos of nothing in particular, perhaps we should create a new key
for glusterfs-8 when that time comes; it's probably time.

+1