[Gluster-users] rsa.pub at https://download.gluster.org/pub/gluster/glusterfs/LATEST/?

Kaleb Keithley kkeithle at redhat.com
Tue Oct 29 19:22:27 UTC 2019

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 1:03 PM Shane St Savage <shane at axiomdatascience.com>
wrote:

> Adding rsa.pub at
> https://download.gluster.org/pub/gluster/glusterfs/LATEST/rsa.pub would
> allow bootstrapping Debian servers with the following repo/key:
>
> deb
> https://download.gluster.org/pub/gluster/glusterfs/LATEST/Debian/${RELEASE}/amd64/apt
> ${RELEASE} main
> https://download.gluster.org/pub/gluster/glusterfs/LATEST/rsa.pub
>
> In other words, only LATEST would have to be referenced instead of LATEST
> and some specific version for the key.

I'm not a Debian packaging expert. (Even if sometimes I play one on TV.)
Why is this preferable to what's in the README.txt (i.e. "wget -O -
https://download.gluster.org/pub/gluster/glusterfs/5/rsa.pub | apt-key add
-") ?

You import the key once, and it works for every update after that? That's
what Louis Zuckerman (a.k.a. semiosis), the original gluster debian
packager suggested. I don't know enough to know why your deb cmd is better
than semiosis' apt-key add cmd?

Also the fact that the key hasn't actually changed since glusterfs-5 means,
among other things, you only need to change the
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/gluster.list and updates to -6 or -7 will just keep
working with the key you already imported.

As an example of why this is useful, Gluster 7 has been released since my
> original mail, so now the key for LATEST is at
> https://download.gluster.org/pub/gluster/glusterfs/7/rsa.pub instead of
> https://download.gluster.org/pub/gluster/glusterfs/6/rsa.pub. Every time
> a new verison of Gluster is released the recipe for installing the latest
> Gluster client has to be updated.

I have the possibly mistaken impression that not everyone wants to always
use .../glusterfs/LATEST.  Some people want to install glusterfs-6 and stay
on -6, i.e. .../glusterfs/6/LATEST. And they'd be really upset if they came
in one morning to find that an automatic update (however good or bad an
idea that is) had updated them to glusterfs-7 when they weren't ready for
it. (And worse, if it broke their system.)

And apropos of nothing in particular, perhaps we should create a new key
for glusterfs-8 when that time comes; it's probably time.