[Gluster-users] Sudden, dramatic performance drops with Glusterfs

Michael Rightmire Michael.Rightmire at KIT.edu
Fri Nov 8 08:32:44 UTC 2019

Hi Strahil,

Thanks for the reply. See below.

Also, as an aside, I tested by installing a single Cenots 7 machine with
the ZBOD, installed gluster and ZFSonLinux as recommended at..
https://staged-gluster-docs.readthedocs.io/en/release3.7.0beta1/Administrator%20Guide/Gluster%20On%20ZFS/

And created a gluster volume consisting of one brick made up of a local
ZFS raidz2, copied about 4 TB of data to it, and am having the same issue.

The biggest part of the issue is with things like "ls" and "find". IF I
read a single file, or write a single file it works great. But if I run
rsync (which does alot of listing, writing, renaming, etc) it is slow as
garbage. I.e. a find command that will finish in 30 seconds when run
directly on the underlying ZFS directory, takes about an hour.

Strahil wrote on 08-Nov-19 05:39:

> Hi Michael,
>
> What is your 'gluster volume info <VOL> ' showing.

I've been playing with the install (since it's a fresh machine) so I
can't give you verbatim output. However, it was showing two bricks, one
on each server, started, and apparently healthy.

> How much is your zpool full ? Usually when it gets too full, the ZFS
> performance drops seriosly.

The zpool is only at about 30% usage. It's a new server setup.
We have about 10TB of data on a 30TB volume (made up of two 30TB ZFS
raidz2 bricks, each residing on different servers, via a 10GB dedicated
Ethernet connection.)

> Try to rsync a file directly to one of the bricks, then to the other
> brick (don't forget to remove the files after that, as gluster will
> not know about them).

If I rsync manually, or scp a file directly to the zpool bricks (outside
of gluster) I get 30-100MBytes/s (depending on what I'm copying.)
If I rsync THROUGH gluster (via the glusterfs mounts) I get 1 - 5MB/s

> What are your mounting options ? Usually 'noatime,nodiratime' are a
> good start.

I'll try these. Currently using ...
(mounting TO serverA) serverA:/homes /glusterfs/homes    glusterfs
defaults,_netdev 0 0

> Are you using ZFS provideed by Ubuntu packagees or directly from ZOL
> project ?

ZFS provided by Ubuntu 18 repo...
   libzfs2linux/bionic-updates,now 0.7.5-1ubuntu16.6 amd64
[installed,automatic]
   zfs-dkms/bionic-updates,bionic-updates,now 0.7.5-1ubuntu16.6 all
[installed]
   zfs-zed/bionic-updates,now 0.7.5-1ubuntu16.6 amd64 [installed,automatic]
   zfsutils-linux/bionic-updates,now 0.7.5-1ubuntu16.6 amd64 [installed]

Gluster provided by. "add-apt-repository ppa:gluster/glusterfs-5" ...
   glusterfs 5.10
   Repository revision: git://git.gluster.org/glusterfs.git

--

Mike

Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT)

Institut für Anthropomatik und Robotik (IAR)

Hochperformante Humanoide Technologien (H2T)

Michael Rightmire

B.Sci, HPUXCA, MCSE, MCP, VDB, ISCB

Systems IT/Development

Adenauerring 2 , Gebäude 50.20, Raum 022

76131 Karlsruhe

Telefon: +49 721 608-45032

Fax:+49 721 608-44077

E-Mail:Michael.Rightmire at kit.edu

http://www.humanoids.kit.edu/

http://h2t.anthropomatik.kit.edu <http://h2t.anthropomatik.kit.edu/>

KIT – Die Forschungsuniversität in der Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft

Das KIT ist seit 2010 als familiengerechte Hochschule zertifiziert