[Gluster-users] Does replace-brick migrate data?

Ravishankar N ravishankar at redhat.com
Fri May 24 13:59:55 UTC 2019

On 23/05/19 2:40 AM, Alan Orth wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I seem to have gotten into a tricky situation. Today I brought up a
> shiny new server with new disk arrays and attempted to replace one
> brick of a replica 2 distribute/replicate volume on an older server
> using the `replace-brick` command:
>
> # gluster volume replace-brick homes wingu0:/mnt/gluster/homes
> wingu06:/data/glusterfs/sdb/homes commit force
>
> The command was successful and I see the new brick in the output of
> `gluster volume info`. The problem is that Gluster doesn't seem to be
> migrating the data,

`replace-brick` definitely must heal (not migrate) the data. In your
case, data must have been healed from Brick-4 to the replaced Brick-3.
Are there any errors in the self-heal daemon logs of Brick-4's node?
Does Brick-4 have pending AFR xattrs blaming Brick-3? The doc is a bit
out of date. replace-brick command internally does all the setfattr
steps that are mentioned in the doc.

-Ravi