[Gluster-users] Advice needed for network change.

Strahil hunter86_bg at yahoo.com
Fri May 10 10:36:38 UTC 2019

Hello Community,

I'm making some changes and I would like to hear  your opinion on the topic.

First, let me share my setup.
I have 3 systems with in a replica 3 arbiter 1 hyperconverged setup (oVirt) which use 1 gbit networks for any connectivity.

I have added 4 dual-port 1 gbit NICs ( 8 ports per machine in total) and connected them directly between ovirt1 and ovirt2 /data nodes/ with LACP aggregation (layer3+layer4 hashing).

As ovirt1 & ovirt2 are directly connected /trying to reduce costs by avoiding the switch/ I have  setup /etc/hosts for the arbiter  /ovirt3/ to point tothe old IPs .

So they look like:
ovirt1 & ovirt2 /data nodes/  /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1   localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4
::1         localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6
192.168.1.90 ovirt1.localdomain ovirt1
192.168.1.64 ovirt2.localdomain ovirt2
192.168.1.41 ovirt3.localdomain ovirt3
10.10.10.1   gluster1.localdomain gluster1
10.10.10.2   gluster2.localdomain gluster2

ovirt3 /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1   localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4
::1         localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6
#As gluster1 & gluster2 are directly connected , we cannot reach them.
192.168.1.90 ovirt1.localdomain ovirt1 gluster1
192.168.1.64 ovirt2.localdomain ovirt2 gluster2
192.168.1.41 ovirt3.localdomain ovirt3

Do you see any obstacles to 'peer probe' and then 'replace brick' the 2 data nodes.
Downtime is not an issue, but I preffer not to wipe the setup.

Thanks for reading this long post and don't hesitate to recommend any tunings.
I am still considering what values to put for the  client/server thread count.

Best Regards,
Strahil Nikolov