[Gluster-users] gluster and qcow2 images

Alex K rightkicktech at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 04:05:24 UTC 2019

Hi

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019, 17:54 Marcus Schopen <lists at localguru.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> does anyone have experience with gluster in KVM environments? I would
> like to hold qcow2 images of a KVM host with a second KVM host in sync.
> Unfortunately, shared storage is not available to me, only the
> two KVM hosts. In principle, it would be sufficient for me - in case of
> a failure of the first KVM host - to start the guests on the second
> host by hand without restoring the images from the nightly backup
> first. The question is, is glusterfs a sensible solution here or
> should one better use other approaches e.g. DRBD. I have read
> contradictory statements about this, many advise against using gluster
> for qcow2 images, some report no problems at all.

Redhat uses gluster in its RHEV solution. Ovirt is the open source one.
Thus gluster can be used with good results. You will need a 10G network for
the gluster storage for higher performance and enable sharding on the
shared volume. Two node setups are prone to split brain issues which may
cause headaches. I am running such setups for years and encountered few
splits which i was able to recover from. You need some fencing solution
inplace to minimize such issues. I would expect higher performance from
DRBD, though I am not aware of any GUI solution that simplifies its
management.