[Gluster-users] Recommended gluster stable version

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Tue Jul 23 12:15:55 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 07:21:30AM -0400, Kaleb Keithley wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 4:36 AM Gionatan Danti <g.danti at assyoma.it> wrote:
>
> > Hi list,
> > I have a question about recommended gluster stable version for using to
> > host virtual disk images.
> >
> >  From my understanding, current RHGS uses the latest 3.x gluster branch.
> > This is also the same version provided by default in RHEL/CentOS;
> >
> > [root at localhost ~]# yum info glusterfs.x86_64
> > Name        : glusterfs
> > Arch        : x86_64
> > Version     : 3.12.2
> > Release     : 18.el7
> > Size        : 542 k
> > Repo        : base/7/x86_64
> >
> > At the same time, CentOS SIG enables version 4.0, 4.1, 5.x and 6.x.
> >

> That's true, but the glusterfs-3.12.x packages are still available on the
> CentOS mirrors.
>
> I'm not sure why the centos-release-gluster312 package has been removed
> from the mirrors, but you can still get it from
> https://cbs.centos.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=6530
>
> It seems odd to me that centos-release-gluster312 would have been removed
> when RHEL is still shipping — for a little while longer anyway —
> glusterfs-3.12 (client side) packages.

The release-312 branch is not maintained anymore, GlusterFS 3.12 is
End-Of-Life. See https://www.gluster.org/release-schedule/ for details.
Of course vendors of productized GlusterFS releases are free to maintain
their downstream forks and provide support for that.

The 3.12 packages are still available on the CentOS mirrors on request
of the oVirt project. We (Gluster Community) do not recommend installing
3.12 anymore as there will not be any further bugfixes for it.

Niels