[Gluster-users] usage of harddisks: each hdd a brick? raid?

Hu Bert revirii at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 9 13:38:25 UTC 2019

Hi @all,

we have 3 servers, 4 disks (10TB) each, in a replicate 3 setup. We're
having some problems after a disk failed; the restore via reset-brick
takes way too long (way over a month), disk utilization is at 100%, it
doesn't get any faster, some params have already been tweaked. Only
about 50GB per day are copied, and for 2.5TB this takes loooong...

We were thinking about migrating to 3 servers with a RAID10 (HW or
SW), again in a replicate 3 setup. We would waste a lot of space, but
the idea is that, if a hdd fails:

- the data are still available on the hdd copy
- performance is better than with a failed/restoring hdd
- the restore via SW/HW RAID is faster than the restore via glusterfs

Any opinions on that? Maybe it would be better to use more servers and
smaller disks, but this isn't possible at the moment.

thx
Hubert