[Gluster-users] Fwd: Added bricks with wrong name and now need to remove them without destroying volume.

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 20:59:13 UTC 2019

Keep in mind that gluster is a metadata process. It doesn't really
touch the actual volume files. The exception is the .glusterfs and
.trashcan folders in the very top directory of the gluster volume.
When you create a gluster volume from brick, it doesn't format the
filesystem. It uses what's already there.
So if you remove a volume and all it's bricks, you've not deleted data.
That said, if you are using anything but replicated bricks, which is
what I use exclusively for my needs, then reassembling them into a new
volume with correct name might be tricky. By listing the bricks in the
exact same order as they were listed when creating the wrong name
volume when making the correct named volume, it should use the same
method to put data on the drives as previously and not scramble
On Wed, 2019-02-27 at 14:24 -0500, Tami Greene wrote:
> I sent this and realized I hadn't registered.  My apologies for the
> duplication
> Subject: Added bricks with wrong name and now need to remove them
> without destroying volume.
> To:  <gluster-users at gluster.org>
> Yes, I broke it. Now I need help fixing it.
> I have an existing Gluster Volume, spread over 16 bricks and 4
> servers; 1.5P space with 49% currently used .  Added an additional 4
> bricks and server as we expect large influx of data in the next 4 to
> 6 months.  The system had been established by my predecessor, who is
> no longer here.
> First solo addition of bricks to gluster.
> Everything went smoothly until “gluster volume add-brick Volume
> newserver:/bricks/dataX/vol.name"
>                 (I don’t have the exact response as I worked on this
> for almost 5 hours last night) Unable to add-brick as “it is already
> mounted” or something to that affect.
>                 Double checked my instructions, the name of the
> bricks. Everything seemed correct.  Tried to add again adding
> “force.”  Again, “unable to add-brick”
>                 Because of the keyword (in my mind) “mounted” in the
> error, I checked /etc/fstab, where the name of the mount point is
> simply /bricks/dataX.
> This convention was the same across all servers, so I thought I had
> discovered an error in my notes and changed the name to
> newserver:/bricks/dataX. 
> Still had to use force, but the bricks were added.
> Restarted the gluster volume vol.name. No errors.
> Rebooted; but /vol.name did not mount on reboot as the /etc/fstab
> instructs. So I attempted to mount manually and discovered a had a
> big mess on my hands.
>                                 “Transport endpoint not connected” in
> addition to other messages.
>                 Discovered an issue between certificates and the
> auth.ssl-allow list because of the hostname of new server.  I made
> correction and /vol.name mounted.
>                 However, df -h indicated the 4 new bricks were not
> being seen as 400T were missing from what should have been available.
> Thankfully, I could add something to vol.name on one machine and see
> it on another machine and I wrongly assumed the volume was
> operational, even if the new bricks were not recognized.
> So I tried to correct the main issue by,
>                 gluster volume remove vol.name
> newserver/bricks/dataX/
>                 received prompt, data will be migrated before brick
> is removed continue (or something to that) and I started the process,
> think this won’t take long because there is no data.
>                 After 10 minutes and no apparent progress on the
> process, I did panic, thinking worse case scenario – it is writing
> zeros over my data.
>                 Executed the stop command and there was still no
> progress, and I assume it was due to no data on the brick to be
> remove causing the program to hang.
>                 Found the process ID and killed it.
> This morning, while all clients and servers can access /vol.name; not
> all of the data is present.  I can find it under cluster, but users
> cannot reach it.  I am, again, assume it is because of the 4 bricks
> that have been added, but aren't really a part of the volume because
> of their incorrect name.
> So – how do I proceed from here.  
> 1. Remove the 4 empty bricks from the volume without damaging data.
> 2. Correctly clear any metadata about these 4 bricks ONLY so they may
> be added correctly.
> If this doesn't restore the volume to full functionality, I'll write
> another post if I cannot find answer in the notes or on line.
> Tami-- 
> _______________________________________________Gluster-users mailing 
> listGluster-users at gluster.org
> https://lists.gluster.org/mailman/listinfo/gluster-users
James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you
gain at one end you lose at the other. It's like feeding a dog on his
own tail. It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/attachments/20190227/6f9712dd/attachment.html>

More information about the Gluster-users mailing list