[Gluster-users] usage of harddisks: each hdd a brick? raid?

Hu Bert revirii at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 6 08:47:41 UTC 2019

Hey there,
just a little update...

This week we switched from our 3 "old" gluster servers to 3 new ones,
and with that we threw some hardware at the problem...

old: 3 servers, each has 4 * 10 TB disks; each disk is used as a brick
-> 4 x 3 = 12 distribute-replicate
new: 3 servers, each has 10 * 10 TB disks; we built 2 RAID10 (6 disks
and 4 disks), each RAID10 is a brick -> we split our data into 2
volumes, 1 x 3 = 3 replicate; as filesystem we use XFS (instead of
ext4) with mount options inode64,noatime,nodiratime now.

What we've seen so far: the volumes are independent - if one volume is
under load, the other one isn't affected by that. Throughput, latency
etc. seems to be better now.

Of course you waste a lot of disk space when using RAID10 and
replicate setup: 100TB per server (so 300TB in total) result in ~50TB
volume size, but during the last year we had problems due to hard disk
errors and the resulting brick restore (reset-brick) which took very
long. Was a hard time... :-/

So our conclusion was: as the heal can be really painful, take very
long and influence performance very badly -> try to avoid heals by not
having to do "big" heals at all. That's why we chose a RAID10: under
normal circumstances (a disk failing from time to time) there may be a
RAID resync, but that may be faster and cause fewer performance issues
than having to restore a complete brick.

Or, more general: if you have big, slow disk and quite high I/O ->
think about not using single disks as bricks. If you have the hardware
(and the money), think about using RAID1 or RAID10. The smaller and/or
faster the disks are (e.g. you have a lot of 1TB SSD/NVMe), using them
as bricks might work better as (in case of disk failure) the heal
should be much faster. No information about RAID5/6 possible, wasn't
taken into consideration... just my 2 €cents from (still) a gluster
amateur :-)

Best regards,
Hubert