[Gluster-users] GFS performance under heavy traffic

Strahil hunter86_bg at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 24 16:51:28 UTC 2019

Hi David,

On Dec 24, 2019 02:47, David Cunningham <dcunningham at voisonics.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In testing we found that actually the GFS client having access to all 3 nodes made no difference to performance. Perhaps that's because the 3rd node that wasn't accessible from the client before was the arbiter node?
It makes sense, as no data is being generated towards the arbiter.
> Presumably we shouldn't have an arbiter node listed under backupvolfile-server when mounting the filesystem? Since it doesn't store all the data surely it can't be used to serve the data.

I have my arbiter defined as last backup and no issues so far. At least the admin can easily identify the bricks from the mount options.

> We did have direct-io-mode=disable already as well, so that wasn't a factor in the performance problems.

Have you checked if the client vedsion ia not too old.
Also you can check the cluster's  operation cersion:
# gluster volume get all cluster.max-op-version
# gluster volume get all cluster.op-version

Cluster's op version should be at max-op-version.

In my mind come 2  options:
A) Upgrade to latest GLUSTER v6 or even v7 ( I know it won't be easy) and then set the op version to highest possible.
# gluster volume get all cluster.max-op-version
# gluster volume get all cluster.op-version

B)  Deploy a NFS Ganesha server and connect the client over NFS v4.2 (and control the parallel connections from Ganesha).

Can you provide your  Gluster volume's  options?
'gluster volume get <VOLNAME>  all'

Best Regards,
Strahil Nikolov