[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] Upgrade testing to gluster 6
hgowtham at redhat.com
Mon Apr 1 04:58:21 UTC 2019
On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 5:55 AM Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay
<sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com> wrote:
> Quite a considerable amount of detail here. Thank you!
> On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 11:42 AM Hari Gowtham <hgowtham at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Hello Gluster users,
> > As you all aware that glusterfs-6 is out, we would like to inform you
> > that, we have spent a significant amount of time in testing
> > glusterfs-6 in upgrade scenarios. We have done upgrade testing to
> > glusterfs-6 from various releases like 3.12, 4.1 and 5.3.
> > As glusterfs-6 has got in a lot of changes, we wanted to test those portions.
> > There were xlators (and respective options to enable/disable them)
> > added and deprecated in glusterfs-6 from various versions .
> > We had to check the following upgrade scenarios for all such options
> > Identified in :
> > 1) option never enabled and upgraded
> > 2) option enabled and then upgraded
> > 3) option enabled and then disabled and then upgraded
> > We weren't manually able to check all the combinations for all the options.
> > So the options involving enabling and disabling xlators were prioritized.
> > The below are the result of the ones tested.
> > Never enabled and upgraded:
> > checked from 3.12, 4.1, 5.3 to 6 the upgrade works.
> > Enabled and upgraded:
> > Tested for tier which is deprecated, It is not a recommended upgrade.
> > As expected the volume won't be consumable and will have a few more
> > issues as well.
> > Tested with 3.12, 4.1 and 5.3 to 6 upgrade.
> > Enabled, disabled before upgrade.
> > Tested for tier with 3.12 and the upgrade went fine.
> > There is one common issue to note in every upgrade. The node being
> > upgraded is going into disconnected state. You have to flush the iptables
> > and the restart glusterd on all nodes to fix this.
> Is this something that is written in the upgrade notes? I do not seem
> to recall, if not, I'll send a PR
No this wasn't mentioned in the release notes. PRs are welcome.
> > The testing for enabling new options is still pending. The new options
> > won't cause as much issues as the deprecated ones so this was put at
> > the end of the priority list. It would be nice to get contributions
> > for this.
> Did the range of tests lead to any new issues?
Yes. In the first round of testing we found an issue and had to postpone the
release of 6 until the fix was made available.
And then we tested it again after this patch was made available.
and came across this:
Have mentioned this in the second mail as to how to over this situation
for now until the fix is available.
> > For the disable testing, tier was used as it covers most of the xlator
> > that was removed. And all of these tests were done on a replica 3 volume.
> I'm not sure if the Glusto team is reading this, but it would be
> pertinent to understand if the approach you have taken can be
> converted into a form of automated testing pre-release.
I don't have an answer for this, have CCed Vijay.
He might have an idea.
> > Note: This is only for upgrade testing of the newly added and removed
> > xlators. Does not involve the normal tests for the xlator.
> > If you have any questions, please feel free to reach us.
> >  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nh7T5AXaV6kc5KgILOy2pEqjzC3t_R47f1XUXSVFetI/edit?usp=sharing
> > Regards,
> > Hari and Sanju.
> Gluster-users mailing list
> Gluster-users at gluster.org
More information about the Gluster-users