[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] Upgrade testing to gluster 6

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 00:23:29 UTC 2019

Quite a considerable amount of detail here. Thank you!

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 11:42 AM Hari Gowtham <hgowtham at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hello Gluster users,
> As you all aware that glusterfs-6 is out, we would like to inform you
> that, we have spent a significant amount of time in testing
> glusterfs-6 in upgrade scenarios. We have done upgrade testing to
> glusterfs-6 from various releases like 3.12, 4.1 and 5.3.
> As glusterfs-6 has got in a lot of changes, we wanted to test those portions.
> There were xlators (and respective options to enable/disable them)
> added and deprecated in glusterfs-6 from various versions [1].
> We had to check the following upgrade scenarios for all such options
> Identified in [1]:
> 1) option never enabled and upgraded
> 2) option enabled and then upgraded
> 3) option enabled and then disabled and then upgraded
> We weren't manually able to check all the combinations for all the options.
> So the options involving enabling and disabling xlators were prioritized.
> The below are the result of the ones tested.
> Never enabled and upgraded:
> checked from 3.12, 4.1, 5.3 to 6 the upgrade works.
> Enabled and upgraded:
> Tested for tier which is deprecated, It is not a recommended upgrade.
> As expected the volume won't be consumable and will have a few more
> issues as well.
> Tested with 3.12, 4.1 and 5.3 to 6 upgrade.
> Enabled, disabled before upgrade.
> Tested for tier with 3.12 and the upgrade went fine.
> There is one common issue to note in every upgrade. The node being
> upgraded is going into disconnected state. You have to flush the iptables
> and the restart glusterd on all nodes to fix this.

Is this something that is written in the upgrade notes? I do not seem
to recall, if not, I'll send a PR

> The testing for enabling new options is still pending. The new options
> won't cause as much issues as the deprecated ones so this was put at
> the end of the priority list. It would be nice to get contributions
> for this.

Did the range of tests lead to any new issues?

> For the disable testing, tier was used as it covers most of the xlator
> that was removed. And all of these tests were done on a replica 3 volume.

I'm not sure if the Glusto team is reading this, but it would be
pertinent to understand if the approach you have taken can be
converted into a form of automated testing pre-release.

> Note: This is only for upgrade testing of the newly added and removed
> xlators. Does not involve the normal tests for the xlator.
> If you have any questions, please feel free to reach us.
> [1] https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nh7T5AXaV6kc5KgILOy2pEqjzC3t_R47f1XUXSVFetI/edit?usp=sharing
> Regards,
> Hari and Sanju.

More information about the Gluster-users mailing list